Signs Your Calgary Vehicle May Need New Spark Plugs
Most auto manufacturers recommend having your vehicle serviced at 5000 to 10 000 km intervals, but it’s important to come in more often if your vehicle is in heavy use. A typical tune-up includes a check of air and fuel filters, spark plugs, electrical wiring, cabin air filters, light bulbs, drive belts, fluids, PCV valves, and general systems.
Your vehicle’s plugs, wires and other high voltage components provide the spark that causes internal combustion in your car’s engine. The wires transmit electricity from the ignition coil or distributor to the plugs and cause them to spark, igniting the fuel and oxygen mix and driving the pistons that provide the power necessary to turn the wheels and move the vehicle. Over time, unburnt gases and oil create a buildup of carbon on your car’s spark plugs which can lessen the performance of your vehicle’s engine and make a cold start more difficult.
Even with regular maintenance, things can and do go wrong. When you notice any of the below indicators, it may be time to visit us for auto service in Calgary and have your spark plugs checked for repairs or replacement.
- Engine has a rough idle – if your spark plugs aren’t performing as they should, your engine will produce a rough and jittery sound while creating larger vibrations throughout the car.
- Trouble starting – worn spark plugs often won’t produce the spark needed to get your vehicle moving and may be causing your battery to drain.
- Misfires – one or more cylinders aren’t firing properly, which can also lead to higher emissions and exhaust.
- Engine surging or hesitating – when a vehicle draws in more air than usual in the combustion process, it can cause the vehicle to jerk and then slow down or continually start and stop. If this happens, it is a sign that the vehicle’s engine is working inefficiently.
- High fuel consumption – with spark plug deterioration, your vehicle’s fuel economy can decrease by up to 30 percent due to incomplete combustion.
- Poor acceleration or ‘sluggishness’ is a sign of carbon buildup and can be easily fixed by having the vehicle serviced with a spark plug change.
Spark plugs typically have a life expectancy of about 45,000 kilometres. Ignition wires can last twice as long. Like other parts of your car, these numbers may vary depending on how you drive and how well the spark plugs and ignition wires are maintained. It is always a good idea to have them cleaned or changed as necessary.
Contact us for Spark Plug & Engine Repairs in Calgary
At Speedy Apollo Auto Service Centres, we offer truly competitive prices, fast and reliable auto services in Calgary, and peace of mind for your electrical systems. If you need a car tune-up or maintenance in the Calgary area, contact us today to book an appointment at one of our locations including Bowness, Forest Lawn, Midnapore, and Westbrook.