Shake Away the Winter Blues with Well-Timed Spring Maintenance
It has been a long, cold, seemingly never-ending winter. With summer just around the corner, the spring season presents an opportune moment to bring your car to an auto repair shop for a much-needed tune-up in anticipation of the warmer weather.
Winter is Gone, Spring is Here, and Summer is just Around the Corner
For a lot of drivers, the warmer weather means they no longer have to worry about salty roads and freezing temperatures wreaking havoc on their vehicle’s internal systems. It also means removing winter tires and gearing up for summer road trips and long commutes to work which may put stress on a car’s cooling system.
The winter season can have long-lasting effects on a vehicle if it is not properly maintained. For instance, brakes can be affected by salty roads, tire pressures may fluctuate with changes in outdoor temperature, tires may experience issues with alignment, battery life may be reduced by the increased usage of heating and other peripherals during the winter, and even coolant and antifreeze is often affected by weather changes.
When things go wrong; what to know and what to look for
While increased temperatures are a welcomed change, it is important to remember that shifts from low to high mean that a spring tune-up is necessary for your vehicle. Below are common signs that a car may need a check-up:
- Batteries, plugs, and wires. During the colder months, these parts work overtime to ensure that your vehicle runs properly. Batteries, plugs, and wires should be tested constantly, and they should be replaced if they are more than three-years-old.
- Tire pressure. Cold weather reduces your tires’ pressure. Make sure that your tires are all checked during spring maintenance to ensure they are balanced and properly inflated. Failing to do so could result in a flat tire or unbalanced driving while on the road.
- Belts and hoses. These parts should be replaced if they are more than five-years-old. Even if they seem like they are in great shape, make sure a mechanic inspects older belts and hoses for cracks. Cold weather can impact the functioning of belts and hoses, so it is important to have them checked in the spring for signs of wear.
- Brakes. It is always advisable to inspect your vehicle’s braking system, especially after a cold season. During a check-up, ensure that every part of the braking system, including lines, hoses, and fluids are working and topped up to proper levels.
- Suspension and wheel alignment. Icy roads, potholes, and other road hazards wreak havoc on a vehicle’s suspension and wheel alignment. A suspension tune-up and checking the wheels for alignment is important to ensure your safety and the proper functioning of your car after a long, cold winter.
Spring Tune-ups with Speedy Apollo Service Centres
There is no doubt that a spring-time tune-up should be a priority for your vehicle after every winter season. As a car-owner, regular tune-ups should continue as well, following in line with the recommendations of our auto service team.
If you’re in the need for a tune-up, or for car maintenance and auto service in Calgary or surrounding areas, contact us at Speedy Apollo.
We do regular and scheduled maintenance for car-owners throughout the year. Our technicians and mechanics are talented and professional, and we make sure to take care of your car as if it were our own.
At Speedy Apollo, a tune-up typically involves a check of air filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, wiring, cabin air filters, light bulbs, drive belts, PCV valves, and general systems. Our tune-ups check for the influence of weather, and always take regular maintenance schedules and your vehicle’s make and model into account.
Visit our tune-up and maintenance website to learn more about the services we offer, how you can make sure your car is in the best shape possible, and how to schedule your spring tune-up.